Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Kansas City Day 2

Nice and early, the four amigos left the hotel and headed over to the race course. G and I hung out in the van, staying warm, while we watched Johnny and Chiu pin on their numbers. After about an hour we suited up and headed over to warm up. The conditions were cold and cloudy, but the sun was breaking out. As we rolled to the line, we noticed that the field was much smaller then the pre-reg. What turned out to be the theme of the weekend, record numbers of riders stayed away. Epic rides come from epic conditions, not warm sunny days in the sun though. Starting about four or five rows back, Gary and I were in decent position. At the gun, we were off. Immediately I sensed that the field was gravitating right, opening up a large gap on the left. Taking this route, I moved from 40th up to top five or so into the first right hand course, Gary right on my wheel. Going onto the course, Gary was able to move up to first where he stayed for a lap before settling into second. Great run by the G-man, as he took second place flying his Cali colors, but riding under the NEBC team name!!! The sun stayed out and kept the course warm. The previous days ice melted, giving way to mud. As the race wore on, that mud grew and grew. Lines disappeared and bikes got weighted down by the mess. My goal going into the race was to finish top 20. Props to Johnny B who stayed on the sidelines having just finished his race to cheer us on. Slipping spots late in the race, I gave it everything I had to hold onto my position. Entering the final straight, I threw it in the big ring (note to all those single ring guys, everything has a price. the price of my second ring was another finishing spot. money well spent) and went after the two guys in front of me. Passing the first, he refused to give up, then I heard "Ugh, you've got it" and coasted into the finish line. I never got the second guy in front, as he was still a couple of bike lengths ahead by the finish. Final result, 20th. Maybe I should have hoped for more? Congrats to Gary who held onto 2nd.

Bigger yelps to the ladies of NEBC who took home to national champion jerseys, and two other podium spots!!!

No comments: