Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Boloco Heartbreak Hill Gran Prix

For the past several years I've raced Cox Classic the week before Fitchburg. It's always been a very high profile race that was in downtown Providence. The course was directly across from the uber-mall and the State House. For several reasons, the course was moved and categories changed from a straight 3 to a 2/3 and included a pretty nasty hill. This year a new race was introduced in Newton and offered a chance to replace my beloved Cox Classic.

When I showed up to register, I was notified that the earlier running race had started late, which pushed the bike races back an hour and 15 minutes. Not a great start to a new race. Regardless, I registered and dressed, then took my bike to the course to preview it. It featured four 90 degree turns before entering the famed Heartbreak Hill of the Boston marathon for three quarters of a mile before snaking around the hospital and descending back to the start. The finishing straight was over a half mile run in with major speed.

At the start line, I weaseled my way to the front line and with Richard Fries calling the race, heard what I thought was a weird comment from Richard "The finishing line has no banner, so racers will be struggling to know exactly where the line is" Um, Richard, there's a big blue tent and a mess of people at the finish, how's that difficult to miss?

With instructions from the officials completed, the racers were off. I quickly found a place about five riders back and held my position through the first lap. As the laps wore on, I focused on holding to my position on the downhill, climbing controlled on Heartbreak Hill and moving to the front through the snaking section before descending again. This strategy worked very well, in fact late in the race I commented to Dave to drink, and realized that I was speaking in a regular voice, not one that was strained from racing.

With three laps to go, Paul Curley moved up towards the front and I decided to hold his wheel to the finish. Regardless of what happened, Paul would find the line at the finish. The pace jumped on the final lap and everyone got strung out. Turning right onto the descent, Paul was in the front five and I was sitting a couple back, just where I wanted to be. As expected, a surge of riders moved forward, and I rode them to the front. With 500 meters to go to the line the pace was in the high 30's, I was just behind Paul and to the right. Paul went left to sprint for the finish. Boxed out from Paul, I went right and to the line. Very quickly I realized that I was spinning out my 53x12 at 122rpm's and unable to stand to sprint. I remained seated and looked for the line. All I could notice was the amazing number of cross walks and stop lines. WHERE THE HECK IS THE FINISH LINE??? I continued to hammer for the line and crossed sixth. Regardless of where the line was or who I followed, I couldn't have pedaled any faster. A great finish to a great day!!!

No comments: