Sunday, June 22, 2008

Giro di Jersey - Stage 1

Years ago I ended up in grad school because a group of guys I was friends with all had this idea that we should go together to make it bearable. Great plan. Immediately after I passed my GMAT and was accepted, I found out that these four guys have this discussion every year and perhaps believe they will try to get in, but never even try. About two months ago I had a similar conversation with some different friends about trying to find a stage race outside of New England. Next thing I know, I'm off to New Jersey to race. This time I have a teammate, Peter.


Day 1, very simple TT. The course is a simple out and back 15km course. The first section is a slight downhill where you can gather your momentum before hitting a quarter mile 8% decent, real speed. Or should have been real speed, up until a local driving a mini-van went around me, then continued at 30 mph. At the bottom of the hill is an immediate left hand bend. In the course preview I was concerned about this turn, as turning at 35+ on a TT bike isn't the easiest thing. Trying to brake at 30mph, trailing a minivan on a TT bike isn't any better. Shortly after the turn, the road rose up just a bit, enough to slow me down, but the minivan pulled away at 30, fortunately not to be seen again. Two miles into the race, I passed my 30 second guy. This course was FAST. Keeping in mind that the first half was downhill and I would need power on the way back, I tried to stay within myself. The speed just kept coming out. My computer afterwards showed my speeds frequently over 35. Just coming out of the turnaround, I caught my minute man. It wasn't long before my minute 3o man was in sight and being passed. Next in sight was my 2 minute man!!! I was very amped by this and started cranking harder. At the base of the last big climb, I caught my target, and took note of his number. Between oxygen debt, adreneline and total lack of math skills, it took me half way up the hill to realize that I just passed my 3 minute man. Pedal, pedal, pedal, over the hill and the line is now in sight. Crossing the line I stopped my computer 21:31, average of 25.9 mph. The second half of the course took two minutes longer then the first half, but I was done. Now to sit and wait.


When the results were posted, I was in second!!! Awesome run and 27 out of 3o points. The Giro is an omnium, meaning that it didn't matter that it took me 11 seconds longer then the winner, I was just three points behind him. Time to rest up and get ready for stage 2.


Who knew Jersey had farms and pretty views?

1 comment:

Greg said...

Nice work on Stage 1 - can't wait to hear about the next two stages...