Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Stage 3 PG

What a view


After two stages of fun, unusual racing, the third day came down to a traditional cross race. We started with a slight bump up of a hill, a tight turn into barriers before crossing UNDER the main road in a pedestrian tunnel and out onto the second half of the course. The two unusual traits to this course was the amount of dirt roads that were used and the two directional aforementioned pedestrian tunnel. Having received a stern warning before starting the race that passing was not to be tolerated in the tunnel, I decided to keep this piece of information for later.

With two great days of strong starts and several hole shots in recent races, I might have been too cocky on the line. At the whistle I had trouble clipping in and found myself quickly about ten deep. Once in, I quickly moved up in the pack and came out of the tunnel top four. As I found out in the crit, these elite riders can hammer. Sure, if there were more technical sections it might have caused them to go slower (myself included), but without them the race was on. After three laps, the lap cards showed six to go. What felt like long laps, began to feel even longer knowing that I was only a third of the way through. With four to go, I was trading pulls with a Legal Seafood rider. He would pull me through the flat sections, opening gaps on my, only to have me close them and over take him on the uphills or technical sections. At one point I was able to use a lapped rider as a pick and roll, preventing the LS rider from following my pace through the tunnel. Then with just over a lap to go, I stumbled remounting my bike, landing on my saddle with my sternum (Ughhh) and the LS rider again opened a gap on me. As the bell was ringing to signify the final lap, I steered too sharp through a right hand turn, clipping my inside pedal on the ground and nearly launching me into my stem. Try as I might over the final lap, I couldn't close the gap and finished up in 7th place.

The funny thing is I finished each stage in 7th place, but took 8th for the overall race. Having debated last week about whether to race the Elite or the Intermediate, my results would have won me the Intermediate title of best all around cyclist, but it would have been a run away. The Elite category was where I belong, sadly eight riders down on the list.

Other notes from the race weekend: Passing on-coming riders in a tunnel that is four feet wide is a wild time. With courses that cross back and forth on themselves so much, it gives you a great chance to measure where you are progressing on each lap. This was consistent with both the crit and cross race. Riders who enjoy crits or cross should definately do this race every year. Those riders that take themselves too seriously though should probably stay away. The spirit of this race was fun and I hope that they can keep it that way.

Oh, and being one of a handful of riders to ride up AND down Mt Washington this year carries its own special reward!!! Plus, I didn't drop $300+ to do so.

1 comment:

Gary said...

I am gonna do this race some day....Looks and sounds like a blast.