Thursday, November 6, 2008

Things that go bump in the night

A couple of weeks ago I resigned myself to riding indoors. After all, the days were getting shorter and it is pretty difficult to do quality interval workouts outside. I mentioned this to my friends and Johnny B was quick to respond that it was too early for indoor riding and there would be no mention of trainer time until December. Johnny is an laid back 24 year old, for him to get this fired up about something, forced me to reevaluate my indoor riding. I gave it some thought and really decided that he was right. I've spent a bunch of money on lights, both to see and be seen, as well as clothing, fenders and more. Why couldn't I ride outside? With a new found energy, I bundled up and went outside. There are some great, quiet rodes near my house, REALLY quiet roads.

On my first ride out, I was off in la-la land thinking about other things, when I literally heard a voice talk to me. Picture this, middle of no-where, no street lights, just me and some distant houses, yet a voice. Holding my breath while I coasted (although ready to sprint away, not sure where, but away), I tried to hear it again. I know this was outside my head. Sure enough, it was there again, except now that I'm listening I notice that it's a recorded message. Riding by the end of someones driveway, I triggered their Halloween motion detector and started some cackling. Phew, that's now funny. With my elevated heart rate, it was like doing an interval yet coasting.

Another week, another opportunity to ride outside. I've found a good route by this point and am just spinning along, getting ready to start my workout when I hit a pothole pretty good. THUMP. I continued along, tires all set, but realizing that I need to pay extra attention to potholes, because they are tough to see and can reek havoc on THUMP (another pothole) a night ride. I'm not as fortunate through the second pothole and start losing air in my front tire. No worries. After a couple mid-summer flats where I was totally unprepared (who goes on a 70 something mile mountain bike ride without a pump or tire? ME!) I had stocked up all my bikes with tools and supplies. Being my singlespeed rig, I had even brought along a box wrench to remove the front wheel for a quick change (seriously, why don't these bikes also have quick release?). I pull the tire off, take out the tube, slap a new tube in, put the tire back on, all the time using my new tools and light. Even as I am doing this, I'm thinking that MKR would be pleased to know that I was fully prepared. I apply the CO2 to the valve stem and immediately freeze my hand off. All the CO2 is doing is spouting onto my hand and not into the tube. The cartridge is exhausted and my tube still has no air. No worries, the newly prepared Scott has a second cartridge. I again apply the CO2 to the valve and again freeze my hand off. No air again. STUPID SINGLESPEED, STUPID TOOLS, STUPID CO2, WHERE IS A QUALITY PUMP. With desperation I use my final tool, my cell phone, and call home for a ride.

CO2 is only nice and quick if the applicator fits on the valve. Otherwise, have a pump. In 30 seconds at home, I pump up the tire and get ready for the next night's ride. Hopefully I'm prepared then too.

No comments: