Friday, May 9, 2008

Wompi Race Report

Wompi in Norwell holds a great training race twice a week. On Tuesday it's the fast big boys, while Wednesday is the lower level training race. Being one of the few cat 3's in a 3/4/5 race, I went in with the plan of getting a good workout in. Every time the pack would lull, I would launch an attack and try to stay away as long as I could. The pack would come get me, I would recover, then go again. My teammates J. Gibbons, Oscar and Justin were there with me and we all took turns attacking. With five laps to go, I looked at J. and asked him how his legs were. He said he felt good and we agreed that I would try to lead him out. The only condition was that he would have to yell at me like a sled dog. With half a lap to go, we were sitting five or six riders back, just perfect. Approaching the final left hand turn we had moved up to third wheel and were in perfect position. As the course straightened out, John yells at me to go and I attack. Never looking back I hammered in and out of the saddle as hard as I could. With ten meters left, John perfectly came around me and took the win while I cross over for second. Justin and Oscar had a similar plan but were just a bit too far back. Oscar took fourth and Justin fifth. Overall, the NEBC took first, second, fourth and fifth and J. got his first win!!!

No comments: